Baccarat is one of the most popular games you will find in land-based and online casinos.
However, not many gamblers play online baccarat because they find it hard to understand. Despite the game being very exciting.
Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Let us guide you through the essential concepts of the game. As well as the most important rules you have to understand before playing – the baccarat card drawing rules.
Once you master these rules, you will be able to play the game like a pro.
Baccarat Game Rules
Before going deep into the drawing rules, you need to know that every online baccarat game starts with a bet. The three main bets on baccarat include the Player’s bet, the Banker’s bet, and the Tie bet.
After making your stakes, the dealer will proceed to deal the cards. In a classic game of baccarat, the dealer makes use of six to eight decks of cards.
It is vital that you know the value of the cards and how you can win with them. This will help you understand the drawing rules better.
Baccarat Card Values And How You Win
Cards have a point value in baccarat. Every card from Ace to Nine in each deck is worth its face value in points.
- Aces are worth 1 point.
- The Tens and Face cards like Jacks, Queens, and Kings are valued at zero.
- Jokers do not matter and are not used in this game.
Depending on the betting option you choose to stake on, either Player or Banker, the dealer will give you two cards face up. You calculate your final hand score by adding up your card values.
The hand with a total of 9 or closest to it wins; 9 is the golden number you want to hit in baccarat. Just like you try to reach 21 in blackjack without busting.
Baccarat Hand Scoring Examples
- If you get an 8 or 9 total count within your first two dealt cards, you have a “Natural” and win automatically. If the banker gets the same, however, you get a “tie.”
- If you stake on the player hand and its total score is closest to nine, you will get twice the amount of your initial bet. If your bet is on the dealer’s hand and it wins, your winnings will be 95% of your total bet.
- If the final count of your hand value goes over ten, you will have to subtract ten from that total. For instance, if you are dealt a 7 and a 9, their total value would be 16. Your real total value would be 6 in this case.
- If you are dealt two face cards, then your total hand value would be 0, since they both have an individual value of 0.
As you can see, knowing the drawing rules is crucial when playing online baccarat at real money casinos.
Baccarat Card Drawing Rules: When To Draw?
If the first hands are dealt and no one gets a “natural”, then the 3rd card rule comes into play.
Now, this is where many people get confused and agree the game gets complex. But it is easy, really.
We will break it down in a simple way for you to understand better.
Player 3rd Card Rule In Baccarat
The following table summarizes the 3rd card rules that would apply if the Player’s hand total is not a “natural”.
|Player’s First Hand Total||Player Must|
|8,9||The hand is a Natural. Automatic win or tie, depending on the Banker’s hand.|
Banker Drawing Rules In Baccarat
The table below shows what follows if the Banker’s hand total is not nine or eight.
|Banker’s First Hand Total||Draws If Player’s 3rd Card Is||Does Not Draw If Player’s 3rd Card Is|
|0,1,2||Must Draw||Must Draw|
|7||Must Stand||Must Stand|
|8,9||Natural. Automatic win or tie, depending on the Player’s hand.||Natural. Automatic win or tie, depending on the Player’s hand.|
Our Baccarat Strategy Card
To make things even simpler, we created a strategy card that shows when to draw (Hit=H) or not draw (Stand=S) depending on the Player’s third card.
Best Sites To Play Baccarat Online
100% up to $200100% up to €140100% up to £100
- Legit Online Casino
- $200 Casino Welcome Bonus
- Accepts Visa, MasterCard, eWallets, & More
- Dozens of Casino Games to Pick From
- International Casino
- Large Game Selection
- Hundreds of Online Slots
Baccarat vs. Mini-Baccarat vs. Punto Banco Drawing Rules
Baccarat, Mini-baccarat, and Punto Banco basically have the same gameplay. They also share the same drawing rules. However, there are some slight differences between them, which come from the nature of their play.
Firstly, while playing traditional baccarat, which is mainly prevalent in land-based casinos, players can also play the main role of the Banker, which is passing the shoe that holds the cards around.
In Mini-baccarat and Punto Banco, however, the player never touches the cards nor the shoe.
The version of the game you get when playing Baccarat online is Mini-baccarat or Punto Banco since you (as a player) never have to deal with cards. Every process is done automatically by the house dealer.